Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Whole30 - A spoonful of sugar does NOT make the medicine go down.

  The last week has been odd. I am so very sick with a sinus bug that has literally invaded my whole face and now my chest a bit. I get really death and dying sick about once every one or two years. I have a healthy immune system and my family does as well. It would seem this is the killer right on schedule and I think I can thank my current eating habits for the way I am feeling. Yes, this is kicking my ass and I have a porcupine in my throat ( remember that commercial? So classic) but I still have energy. So Tigers Blood has really come in at the clutch moment I needed it. I am a solid week from day 30 and I feel great even while sick as hell. Crazy awesome. We have made it through Superbowl, Bunco and I think it's safe to say Valentines Day will be easy peasy. We normally take the girl child out to a fancy Italian restaurant and have our family Valentine's date night but she is at her bio Moms for the holiday this year and we can celebrate the following weekend just fine. And at day 35 and into the reintroduction stage, heavy pasta dishes sound like a nightmare so I will be doing some picking and choosing carefully but I'm sure it will be wonderful.

 One thing that has blown my mind totally is that amount of sugar in medicine. This may be next level Whole30 shit but I just cannot justify a stupid cold being the ruin of all my hard work. Have I mentioned this is hard work? Oh ok cool. Anyway I was sitting cross sit on the floor of Safeway like a weirdo reading package after package and just completely in awe of all the different ways you can say sugar, for one. But for two, just the sheer quantity of it in medicine. Most sad the fizzy instant fix I have come to relay on and sadly I will go back to in the future because it really works for my sinusitis I tend to get sick with. I found three maybe four out of what seems like hundreds of remedy options. How sad. No wonder our kids get jacked up and wild every time we give them a simple syrupy cough does of that grape stuff, it's actually a simple syrup base! I do tend to go homeopathic for Aidan because he responds fine to that and he takes it no prob.

 So, update is: Hella sick. Avoided any added sugar in my cold medication choices. Eating all the spices to burn this off. And feeling really healthy happy and good. Mind, body and soul. Life is Aiiiiiiiiight.


 Recipe time. Here are a few of the most drooled over posted food items. Starting with one I have got to get out there and all praise my husband for the Mexican food whole30 hack success of all time.







Kelly's Taco Seasoning

  Besides seasoning 1 lb of ground meat of your choosing with salt and pepper, brown that and make this: 

  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon oregano
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 3 tablespoons compliant ketchup
  • 1 tablespoon compliant yellow mustard 
  • 1/4 cup water 
Add to browned meat. Simmer for about 5 minutes. We make tacos with guacamole, and a zillion salsas on a fresh lettuce leaf and they are seriously inhaled.



That Beet Slaw Tho

This has been a family favorite which is shocking because if I juice a beet they all turn green and run. It's great with red meat but really it has worked with everything. I even piled chicken salad on top and ate it in a lettuce leaf and wowzers. I mean. Gah.


  • 1 medium green apple
  • 2 medium beets
  • 2 medium turnips (parsnips will do also)
  • the juice from one orange
  • 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  •  cracked pepper to taste
  •  chopped macadamias, almonds or pecans
Use a mandolin or vagetti shred all produce and toss with remaining ingredients coating evenly. Chill until serving and to let flavors marry. 






I know I have been posting about food mostly and yes real life is going on behind the curtains. I have some major things with each kid to address in the next week or so and the drafts on both topics are in like the eight revisions. I mean, we have tween drama and Kindergarten planning. Yeah, there's your teasers. I promise it's coming.








No comments:

Post a Comment